Read Review: Unaccustomed Earth

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
Paperback, 333 pages
Published 2009 by Random House India (first published January 1st 2008)
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Blurb:
The stories of Unaccustomed Earth focus on second-generation immigrants making and remaking lives. loves and identities in England and America. We follow brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, friends and lovers, in stories that take us from Boston and London to Bombay and Calcutta.

Blending the individual and the generational, the exotic and the strikingly mundane, these haunting, exquisitely detailed and emotionally complex stories are intensely compelling elegies of life, death, love and fate.

MY THOUGHTS:
My best friend gifted me this book on my birthday this year. I am a fan Jhumpa Lahiri, like thousands others, and this book had been on my TBR list for quite some time.

I absolutely loved the stories. The book is divided into two parts. Part One consists of five individual stories--Unacustommed Earth, Hell-Heaven, A Choice of Accommodations, Only Goodness and Nobody's business. Part Two tells the tale of Hema and Kaushik in three chapters.

Like her other stories, the protagonists of these stories are essentially Bengali immigrants as well. I have always found the author's story-telling is detailed, intricate and mesmerizing. And this book did not disappoint me at all. A truly amazing read.

Labels: , , ,